Aviation maintenance mechanic (military)
Carrying out maintenance and ground handling of a range of military and civil aircraft within a military environment, including helicopters and jet fighters.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 18 months
- Current funding band
Up to £12,000 per apprentice.
Warning The funding band maximum for this apprenticeship will change to £12,000 from 01 August 2018More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- understanding of airworthiness, including structural inspections and standard operating procedures
- law and principles of aviation safety
- scheduled, reactive and specialist maintenance
- using hand and mechanical tools and equipment
- using airworthiness documents, for example filling in service and maintenance documents
- health and safety practices and procedures relating to airworthiness
- level 2 certificate in aircraft maintenance (military aircraft)
- level 2 aviation maintenance mechanic (competence)
- level 2 aviation maintenance mechanic (competence) - optional
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
This apprenticeship is recognised by the Training Requirements Authority (TRA).
- How apprentices are assessed
A government-approved organisation must assess apprentices towards the end of their apprenticeship.
This end-point assessment ensures apprentices achieve the skills, training and any qualifications necessary to complete their apprenticeship.
You can download the assessment plan from the Institute for Apprenticeships. There are no end-point assessment organisations for this apprenticeship yet. Please email email@example.com if you urgently need an end-point assessment organisation.
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.