Sports turf operative
Maintaining and renovating sports surfaces to make sure that public and private sports facilities are available for use.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 18 months
- Current funding band
Up to £5,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
- What apprentices will learn
- how to identify and use the correct materials, tools and equipment for grounds keeping
- how to monitor, record and report findings
- environmental, and health and safety law and regulations
- an understanding of different types of surface and problems associated with them
- how to minimise waste and reduce environmental impacts
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the tests for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
The apprentice will be eligible to join the Institute of Groundsmanship (IOG) register of Turf Management Professionals.
- How apprentices are assessed
A government-approved organisation must assess apprentices towards the end of their apprenticeship.
This end-point assessment ensures apprentices achieve the skills, training and any qualifications necessary to complete their apprenticeship.
You can download the assessment plan from the Institute for Apprenticeships. There are no end-point assessment organisations for this apprenticeship yet. Please email email@example.com if you urgently need an end-point assessment organisation.
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.