Produce and repair finished, quality-assured spectacles.
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
- Typical length
- 24 months
- Current funding band
Up to £4,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- processes and techniques for manufacturing and repairing spectacles
- materials, including resins, plastics, glass and metals
- testing and adjustment of spectacles
- optical tools and equipment
- technical specifications, drawings and instructions
- health and safety
- work to appropriate quality standards and systems
- maths and optical science skills
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must:
- achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
Apprentices will be eligible to become Freeman of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers.
- How apprentices are assessed
A government-approved organisation must assess apprentices towards the end of their apprenticeship.
This end-point assessment ensures apprentices achieve the skills, training and any qualifications necessary to complete their apprenticeship.
You can download the assessment plan from the Institute for Apprenticeships. There are no end-point assessment organisations for this apprenticeship yet. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you urgently need an end-point assessment organisation.
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.