Rail Infrastructure Operator
Operating the signals and electrical controls needed to keep trains running safely and on time.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 12 months
- Current funding band
Up to £12,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- understanding track regulations
- operating controls in a manual signal box or electronic control centre
- how to respond to track incidents
- tracking trains on the network
- railway health and safety legislation
Apprentices must have achieved level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSE grades 3 to 1 or D to G) before taking their end-point assessment. They must also have taken level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSE grades 9 to 4 or A* to C)
- Professional registration
Apprentices who complete this apprenticeship will be eligible to apply for associate level membership with the Institution of Railways Operators or affiliate level membership with the Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport.
- End Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.