Design, manufacture and assembly of the components required in a pipe organ
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
- Typical length
- 36 months
- Current funding band
Up to £24,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- creating and interpreting technical specifications, drawings, and other written and verbal instructions (such as cutting lists, rollerboard layouts and soundboard plantings)
- identify and respond to problems appropriately (including testing and adjustment)
- selecting and using the appropriate processes, techniques, materials, tools and equipment to undertake organ building tasks from inception to realisation
- constructing timber components such as soundboards and wind trunking
- using leather to make hinges and gussets in bellows, and for pneumatic motors
- making wooden and metal pipework
- putting individual pipes and complete ranks back into tune
- identify and resolve action faults in existing instruments
Apprentices must have achieved level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSE grades 9 to 4 or A* to C) before taking their end-point assessment
- Professional registration
Successful apprentices will be recognised by the Institute of British Organ Building (IBO) as qualified organ builders, eligible for employment by any of its accredited business members. They would also be eligible themselves for Individual or Associate Membership of the IBO.
- How apprentices are assessed
A government-approved organisation must assess apprentices towards the end of their apprenticeship.
This end-point assessment ensures apprentices achieve the skills, training and any qualifications necessary to complete their apprenticeship.
You can download the assessment plan from the Institute for Apprenticeships. There are no end-point assessment organisations for this apprenticeship yet. Please email email@example.com if you urgently need an end-point assessment organisation.
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.