Laboratory scientist - level 5
Carrying out technical and scientific activity in laboratories.
5 (equivalent to foundation degree)
- Typical length
- 60 months
- Current funding band
Up to £27,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
Candidates will usually have:
- GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent) in English and maths
- A levels or existing level 3 qualifications (or equivalent)
Employers may consider previous experience as an alternative to the above qualifications.
- What apprentices will learn
- underlying scientific principles in laboratory based experimentation
- principles of laboratory techniques and scientific experimentation
- theories of advanced science and technology applicable in their role
- project management
- regulatory requirements
- responding to customer requirements
- health and safety requirements
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C).
Some employers may expect qualifications at level 3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E) in maths.
- Professional registration
The apprenticeship is recognised by the relevant professional organisations at registered scientist (RSci) level.
- End Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.