Working in a butchers, butchery department or meat processing plant.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 18 months
- Current funding band
Up to £9,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
- What apprentices will learn
- butchery principles - including meat and poultry species and selection and supply chain and slaughter practices - for example Halal and Kosher
- knife skills - including cutting, boning, trimming and mincing of meat
- health and safety practices, food safety and hygiene and key legislation
- processing and production techniques - including preparing and packaging meat
- using specialist tools and machinery - including hand saws, cleavers, banding needles, meat cutters and slicers
- business profitability and maximising productivity, efficiency and customer care
- specialist retail shop or processing plant butchery skills
- level 2 award in food safety supervision for manufacturing (QCF)
- level 2 award in health and safety in the food supply chain business (QCF)
- level 2 award in knife skills (QCF)
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
Apprentices will be automatically eligible for an appropriate level of membership with the Institute of Meat (IoM).
- End Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.